Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"Is Your Pool Open Yet?"

It's that time of the ________ again .... Yeah, not my favorite time at all. No, it's not what you're thinking. GASP! I'm talkin about Pool Season. Seems like only yesterday when I was confessing my hatred of opening our community's swimming pool and here it is time to re-open.

This year the pool was painted, a new rockscape installed, new latch installed, tables prepped and painted and all areas deemed to be accessible by anyone larger than a hamster reinforced. Based on the number of phone calls from Residents asking when we were opening the pool, I was pretty sure Opening Day would be successful. However, I was completely surprised by this phone conversation.

The phone rings and I answer it late in the afternoon, expecting the caller to be a Prospect looking for info or a Resident with a work order.

"Is your pool open yet?"

Now, I am such a smart ass (in my head at least.) So many possibile replies volleyed back and forth in my head in all of a split second. But I successfulle repressed the urge to utter something totally irresponsible. "Well, I will be happy to talk to you. With whom I am speaking?" Yeah, I actually can be pretty formal.

"I just want to know if your pool is open?"

"Okay, I understand that. Are you one of our Residents?"

"What difference does THAT make? Look, it's a simple question, Lady."

"Yes, and I have a simple answer. If you're a Resident, I can tell you this information." A long pause.
"I'm calling for someone else who lives there. They're at work and want to know if they can use the pool when they get off work. So, is your pool open or not? Why won't you just tell me?"

So, I told him we don't have a public pool and I can only discuss property questions like this with a Resident. "Just have them call the office or send me an email," I said. "And the reason I can't discuss this with you is one, you will not even identify yourself, so how do I know who you are? And two, there are a lot of differences between public pools and private pools. Our pool is private and it is only for our Residents."

He was really persistent. "So, are you going to tell me or not?" When I didn't answer right away he hung up and truthfully I was relieved. Why on earth would a complete stranger, whom I do not know (or at least I don't think I do) talk so rudely? Okay, so maybe it isn't that I don't like Pool Season as much as I just don't like Rude People.

2 comments:

  1. Apartment managers can be such ducking bitches! A child at my apartment complex less in the pool and it was closed half the summer! The manager called cos on the child's parents and evicted them saying that their 2 year old child's behavior was a toxic hazard and that all residents are on time out until further notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Health Department regulates pools, as in their chemistry and safety. Managers may opt to close community pools due to a number of factors, including Resident behavior and because a child has become ill in a pool. I am not sure exactly what your point is. However, I would encourage you to take your complaint directly to your Leasing Office.

    ReplyDelete