Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It Might Be a Long, Long Summer

How do you handle property damage caused by a couple of unsupervised six-year-olds at your community? I was actually accepting an Application from a gentleman when one of my Residents came into the Office and told me some kids were taking out a mature bush. So, I excused myself and went to the door, looked out and sure enough, they sure were. In all honesty, I can handle mischievous children, having taught for years and raising two children of my own. What I find difficult to understand are the parents who non-chalantly behave as though this is MY problem and they share no responsibility for supervising their children. To be fair, one parent brought her son immediately into the office afterward because he was so upset himself and told his mother that he had "done something bad" and "Mindy's mad at me." (Not that I want a child to think I am angry, although I did want him to know how disappointed I was in his behavior.)

I saw this as a great opportunity for a teaching moment and I spent some time talking with Carson and explaining how hurt I am that now my landscaping does not look so great. He came into the Office crying and left smiling but sober in the realization that he needs to learn some self-control.

The other parent's reaction to the news of the incident? "Allistair!!!! You can NEVER PLAY OUTSIDE AGAIN!" Really??? You are never ever going to let your little boy play outside again? I looked at her and said, "Now, you know that isn't what is going to happen. In the future, you are going to have to spend more time watching him and less time talking on the phone inside. He's six years old. He's your responsibility and I would not want to see him get hurt."

Oh, and by the way, the new bush will cost $65 and labor to install. I'll send you the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment