Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Which Would You Rather Be?



You know what? Confident people are NOT Perfectionists. They don’t have to be. Confident people have come to terms with their shortcomings and understand there is always room for improvement. I kept wondering why one of our Leasing Consultants was so non-committal about planning Resident activities. It was really bothering me, to the point where I was actually wasting moments of my driving time pondering the “Why?” instead of singing at the top of my lungs to the radio (which is what I usually do when I am driving.)

Last Friday, at one property, the Leasing Consultant who is a real firecracker, planned a breakfast event for the Residents. I showed up a few minutes after she did and helped with pouring batter and toasting waffles. It was a lot of fun and happily, there was a steady stream of Residents coming in to enjoy a free waffle or two or four. Who’s counting, right?

I would glance periodically out the Clubhouse glass doors toward the parking lot but the other Leasing team member did not arrive until her normal hours. Eventually, I casually asked why she hadn’t arrived early to participate. Her answer? “Well, since I didn’t really plan it, I was afraid it would be a bust.”

Huh??????

I finished the sentence: “… and I don’t put my name on things I cannot control because they may not turn out perfect.”

I see.

Does your team have an individual like this? I am still debating whether or not there is value in having someone who feels unless she is in control then an event will not turn out “perfectly.” Even if no one had shown up and eaten a single waffle, would it have been the end of the world? Of course not. Life is all about taking chances and exploring why a plan is successful or a failure, and I can tell you, we learn more from our failures than we do our successes. But if one cannot even trust and let go of his fear, I think he will remain stuck. That is NOT a good place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment