Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 7, 2016

More Sunday Funnies in Student Housing



Every Leasing Office everywhere can provide funny stories that prove this is the best industry in which to work. Honestly, though, Student Housing has to be the funniest genre! Even when our students are trying to be funny, they inevitably are. Here’s few more.

A girl walks into the office carrying an envelope. I ask how we can help her today and she responds, “How do I close this? I need to mail it?” Huh? “Oh, do you need a stamp or help addressing the envelope?” She shakes her head no. “How do I close it?” Oh. Wait. I tell her there is sticky stuff on the flap. You wet it and press down to seal it. She looks at me and says, “I have nothing. I have no sponge to wet it.” I have to actually show her that you can lick the flap and when she looks horrified, I offer to tape the envelope for her. She nods profusely. Kid you not.

One of our residents who has always paid rent on time with a check inadvertently forgets for the month of January, which is not so far-fetched since most students leave for a month over winter break. He is notified of his delinquency and upon return, he sheepishly brings in his check, apologizing for being late. Nothing more to be said … until he returns a couple of days later carrying a pound cake warm from the oven, which he baked himself. He tells us, “Here’s your Christmas present. It’s late too!”

In the property email account, I read the following: “Hey, XXXXXX Village! Can you send the guy to look at my toilet?” No name, no apartment number, no description of what is the matter.
Another one came from the resident who reported there was something wrong with her “Trash Compactor.” Except there are no trash compactors. Apparently she thought the Garbage Disposals were a trash chute and she was shoving everything down it. (Okay, maybe not so funny.)

We notified all the student residents of a contractor’s need to enter their apartments. Most of the students never responded. A couple went ballistic about demanding an exact time of entry (law school students, Go Figure.) One person responded with “It is my pleasure to help you and the contractor. Please let me know what else I can do to assist you.”

Got to admit – the last one is my favorite. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment