Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Does Your Apartment Community Feel Like Home?

Saturday was a Hot Leasing Day. I mean, as in, lots of leases got – not just that it was blazing hot outside (as this apparently has become the norm this summer.) One of those leasing with us is a former Resident. She first moved here – alone – and lived in a one bedroom apartment. She then found Mr. Right and he moved in, too. They got married and lived there in their first apartment together for about four years.

Then I started noticing she seemed, well, a bit different. Yep, there was soon to be a little one to add to their family. They began looking for a larger place. They toured other apartment complexes but found it hard to commit. I was curious since at that time, almost everybody and his brother had specials running and deals were being wheeled all over the Dayton market. This community, however, was doing fine without the specials.

One day I received a phone call and they wanted to come and look at one of our two-bedrooms. “Great,” I said. Really I was thinking, “What took you so long? Why didn’t you come here first anyway?” They come in and I explain that although I have a few of this style available and would love them to reserve one, if they like the floor plan they have to let me know today. It’s generally acceptable to transfer a couple when they are over-occupied at the end of their lease without charging a hefty Transfer Fee.

Several days go by and I don’t hear from them. I call. I leave messages. Did something happen? What happened???? Of course they call on a busy Saturday and I tell them NOW THERE IS ONLY ONE AVAILABLE! Tell me right this minute if you want it! The morning goes by and I had three Prospects who all seem happy with the possibility of living here. One reserves an upcoming one bedroom; one applies and is approved for the available one-bedroom leaving the two bedroom still available. BUT … I have a good feeling that one of the other couples will want to apply as well. Good problem to have, right?

Around three in the afternoon a Be Back from that morning comes in and fills out the Application for the two bedroom and pays the Security Deposit. It’s a steady stream that afternoon, when at the last minute before closing, in walks this couple wanting to take the two bedroom and I DON’T HAVE ANY LEFT.

Were they upset? You bet – he lost his temper in the Leasing Office and eventually after yelling at me and every Prospect in the Leasing Office they walk out. I pretty much don’t skip a beat and get everyone else taken care of. I close the Office for the day and call Mr. Right (and his wife) and explain that this is how the world of real estate works. Take it when it’s available or leave it for someone else. I invite them back to the Office and they come, but he’s still angry, but we work through it and I put them on my “Wait List”. They fill out a new Application, pay the new Security Deposit and we move on. Eventually they do move into a nice two bedroom apartment and all is well for a while.

It turns out that Mr. Right was indeed Mr. Wrong and the couple divorce with both parties eventually moving when their lease was up. He to a new place; she to her mother’s. Now she is financially sound, happy and came to me to re-apply because she says, “This is our home.” I had taken them to see a townhouse (Occupied) and I look over to see her daughter sitting in the Resident’s rocking chair happily rocking back and forth singing as only four year olds can. “Yes, this is your home!” That message was written all over their faces and it made me smile. I expect that they will be at home in this community for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment