Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 31, 2012

A New Kind of Discrimination?

Earlier this week, a couple came in to the Leasing Office to talk about their need for a two-bedroom apartment. Actually, one half of the couple came in to ask to look at floorplans. I sat down with him; it appeared he was in a hurry. We talked about what would be available now and next month. He asked if I would show him the two-bedroom I had to use as a Show Unit. Since it was already leased with someone moving in later in the week, he understood he could not rent this one.

I get his ID and walk out with him, only to see his van parked, motor running and people in it waiting. He explains that is his wife and children are waiting. I was curious as to why they didn’t come in, too, but I figured maybe the children were napping or something. Anyway, we go to the apartment and I show it to him and he smiles as soon as he walks in and sees the large, open living room. He almost seems to float through and then turns and asks if his wife can come to look. “Of course,” I say.

I stand at the open door and his wife gets out of the van, hands me her ID and runs inside. It is raining, well, sprinkling. (It hasn’t rained all summer!) She comes in and practically runs through and runs back to the van and I hear her telling her husband the minute she leaves, “I like it! I like this!”

Her husband begins to pull out of the parking space [Normally, we walk to apartments to tour on foot, but it happened that it had been sprinkling off and on, so that day we drove over.] and lowers his window to ask about the Townhouse floorplan.

I think to myself, well, that is not in your stated price range …. But I don’t say it to him. I tell him I will stop and get the key, which I do and we go over to the Townhouse. Now, this unit is available and rent-ready, so I am hopeful that they may like it, but fearful that it is out of their price range. When we get there, the entire family gets out of the van and we go over to tour the townhouse. As soon as I open the door, the parents begin to smile and look at each other and they begin to ask all kinds of questions. They are so excited! After completing the tour and answering their questions, I ask the Money Question, “Would you like to reserve this one? You really seem to love it, and…” I started to continue when he interrupts me and says, “My wife wants this one.”

After making all the disclosures as to rent rate, I notice how the kids are antsy and tired and one is crying. He tells me he will bring his application in and pay the fees in the morning on his way to taking the children to school. Sweet!

Between the time he comes back in and his Application is finally Approved, he calls me at least four times to ask if they will be getting the townhouse I showed them. Each time, I try to reassure him that it will be same one I showed them. They are moving in tomorrow. He came in a few minutes ago and once more I reassured him that the townhouse will be theirs. I feel like giving him a hug so he will believe me (I don’t.)

He turns to me as he is walking out the door. “We have been other places and they show us a nice apartment and we say we will rent that one and they tell us we have to take a different one.” I ask him if that is because they show only a Model.

“No, it is not always that. My wife thinks it is because they don’t like us. They do not want to rent to people who have a boy like ours.”

“This townhouse is yours. Don’t worry! I hope your family will be very happy here!”

Their son is autistic. I wonder to myself, “Is this a new kind of discrimination????”

No comments:

Post a Comment