Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Today, I Am Just a Human Being

This morning just before it was my pew’s turn to exit for Communion, a side door opened and a woman entered the Church. Beside her was a small boy, about eight years old who looked very pale. Even I could see this.

She stated in a panicked, though soft voice, “I need a doctor!”

Those of us within hearing range turned to look at her. A couple of people repeated what she said and she said it again; this time a little louder, “I need a doctor!” Then louder, “I need a doctor! My son says his chest is hurting!”

At this point, I think every person nearby was upset. I started looking around to see if anyone claiming to be a doctor had heard. Surely, in this crowd of several hundred, someone would be a doctor!

An Usher rushed over and they laid the little boy on the floor. “Have you called 911 yet?” he asked. "I will do it!" he said. The lady sitting two rows ahead of me rushed over. Her arm was in a cast. Maybe she is a doctor or nurse, I thought. I watched her as she knelt down and softly put her hand on the mother and began to pray out loud. Three men also approached and quickly assessed the little boy’s condition and they scooped him up and out of the sanctuary with his mother running behind never dropping her little boy’s hand.

No one in the front of the church knew what was going on as Father Scott continued with Communion. Within minutes we could all hear the ambulance coming and I breathed a sigh of relief. The hairs on the back of my neck were still standing up and I was tearing up; I was so scared for that mother and her son. The lady beside me, the one in front of me, and the two behind me – we all looked at one another – and I could see their expressions mirrored my own.

A team of experts assembled from all parts of the church. They assessed the situation and took action. We don’t live alone in this world. We must all work together to achieve a good outcome. It doesn’t matter who you are or where you are at any time; it takes us all to get through life.


No comments:

Post a Comment