Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 23, 2012

Fortify the Relationship With Your Landlord

Generally having anyone show up on a Saturday looking for an apartment is a great thing. However, this past Saturday I must have had the most diverse group of Prospects as I have ever had in my life. But my “favorite” was a couple where one half of the couple came in to “scope” out what I would say to their rental dilemma. Apparently, she said she and her family arrived from out of state, went to the Leasing Office to sign the lease and pick up their keys. They had visited the property once before and had seen a different style of two bedroom, but when it came time to reserve one, they chose a completely different floor plan from the one previously viewed.

She proceeded to tell me every little thing she was dissatisfied with and ask me how I would handle that if it had occurred here. I answered, “It doesn’t really matter how I would handle it. The question is, how did they handle it? You must still be upset since you are here today.”

“Oh, they gave us a $75 Gift Card but I would rather not have had it happen in the first place.” She then listed several things that occurred and I agree, it was not an ideal situation.

“Are you planning on breaking the lease,” I asked.

“Yeah, maybe. But I don’t want to go somewhere and have my appliances not work, my toilet leak and flood the bathroom and all this other stuff!”

I do understand her frustration. However, the team at the other community fixed things as they occurred and gave them a Gift Card. They apologized as well. But then the Prospect added this, “I just don’t trust them any more.”

I have said it before and I will say it again, trust is the key ingredient in all relationships. I told her that trust is a two-way street, too. This person, while the experience has been less than satisfactory, should not be threatening to bale on the lease obligation at the first sign of trouble. Both parties need to fortify the relationship.

“Give them the benefit of the doubt,” I said. “Tell them you are unhappy and you think you have made a mistake. Ask them what they plan to do to restore your confidence. Then, tell them you love the community and the gym and all the reasons you chose them in the first place. Wait a bit before you dump them and start shopping again. You are, in fact, legally obligated to do so.”

I am still wondering why people leap to the conclusion that life sucks at the first sign of a problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment