Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 16, 2012

Interviewing Is Not Fun!

“We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing while others judge us by what we have already done.” ~ H. W. Longfellow

A couple of weeks ago I was interviewing over the telephone with an Asset Manager I had never met before. He asked me how I would know I was successful in my role as an Assistant Regional Manager. Honestly, the first thought that popped in my head was, “When you keep adding to my portfolio, then I will know I am successful.” But I didn’t say that.

I answered with what I thought was a politically correct response regarding being diligent about checking all the statistics and reports in Yardi (the company’s accounting software program) and knowing that when all the properties were hitting their numbers, when I could see we were making a profit and vacancies were filling, then I would presume I and my team were becoming successful. What I also wanted to add was, “I guess if no one is quitting on me and running screaming out the door, including me, I would think I was being successful.” Of course, I chickened out and didn’t say that either.

There are so many things I feel capable of doing. There are so many jobs I am doing NOW but I don’t have the title to back it up that I wonder how I can catch a break in this job market. Hahaha! As a Manager and a Consultant, I see a lot of what doesn’t work in the multifamily industry, but the truth is, the most important asset a community and company can have is its people. Who would you rather have on your team: someone you believe in because of attitude, skills, and that “gut feeling” that they would give you their 1000% or someone who looks good on paper but may not necessarily have that same personality, drive and attitude of someone who is “hungry” and willing to do what it takes to succeed?

I probably should have just said what I felt instead of what I thought he wanted to hear because clearly he was not impressed with my answers. Live and learn.   


No comments:

Post a Comment