Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Working With the Senior Resident

My daughter told me the other day that I should manage a senior community. She said matter-of-factly that after all, I was the “Old People Whisperer.” I am not sure the elderly population would feel flattered by that attribute, but I laughed anyway. In fact, her assessment could possibly be quite accurate.

When did that happen? I can remember being bored by people over the age of thirty!

Looking back though, I can tell you it happened the day I became a Manager of a property that had been marketed as a Senior Community. It wasn’t legally classified as a Senior Property, but because the Manager and Leasing Consultants said it was, no one much under the age of fifty went there after they called since that was what they were told. Hello? Fair Housing?

When I came on board, and was moved into the role of manager there, I was forced into learning how to deal with the older population. It turns out I have a knack for it. I seem to have infinite patience with seniors and I always make time for them. It is such a pleasure to talk to someone who has experienced so much change in his lifetime! The older men flirt shamelessly and the older women sometimes just need a hug. Sometimes, they all just need to know someone cares – they are so lonely.

How much trouble is it to stop by to check in on someone who is lonely and would never confide that to you? Does it really take that much time to fix a cup of tea for someone and sit for a moment? I love to do this. But my daughter is right; I have noticed that many people in our Leasing Offices look with disdain on a slow-moving person who is coming in to report a work order request. They never stop to think that they come in because they want some human interaction. And if the older resident complains, it may be because they want some attention! Give it to them, please. They appreciate your kindness more than you can ever know. In fact, I guess just about everyone does.  

Here are some things to do for your Senior Residents:
1. Subscribe to the newspaper. Subscriptions are expensive these days and this may bring more of your Residents into your clubhouse.
2. Serve coffee or tea in your clubhouse.
3. Make sure your dumpsters have side openings. Many Seniors cannot open those large lids on dumpsters.
4. Allow pets! Pets help banish loneliness for all our Residents, let alone "shut-ins."
5. Print your brochures, flyers and party invitations in a BIG FONT - easier for seniors to read.
6. Hold Resident Events earlier in the evening. Many do not like walking home in the dark.
7. Hold card parties! Bridge games are still popular.
8. Allow gardening and patio containers so Residents can have flowers in their outdoor areas.
9. Make sure your Groundsperson salts by outdoor mailboxes! Getting the mail is an important activity for many senior residents. Mitigate the danger of them slipping on the ice.
10. Teach them how to access the internet if they don't know how. Have a continuing ed class just for them.

Are there other things our property managers can do? Please share your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment