Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Know a Veteran? Say, Thank You!

My son made his decision to join the military in high school. In fact, he was not legally able to sign the enlistment papers because he was underage. I did not know that he had made his mind up until he casually announced he was joining. I saw the serious expression on his face and swallowed hard.

“What branch are you signing up with?” I asked.

“I think the Army. I’ve been meeting with the recruiters at lunch at school.” I asked him if he was sure if the Army was right for him. He wanted to know what I thought. So, again, I paused and swallowed.

“Well, if you’re going to enlist, why not enlist with the Marines?”

A couple of days later, Thomas Sean told me when I walked in from work that someone was coming to see me in a few minutes. “Oh, who?” But I knew. I could tell from my son’s poised, confident expression that I would be signing the paperwork for him to enlist. He was just seventeen and suddenly I was scared. What if my baby gets shipped off to Iraq and gets killed? I could not bear that thought so I pushed it from my consciousness.

I met the Recruiter, signed the paperwork and then spent the next forty-eight hours arguing with my ex-husband over this decision. I finally told him that it was going to happen and he needed to accept it. He said he would not give permission. And, this is what I love about the United States Marine Corps. They simply do not take no for an answer. They sent in three big Marines to my ex’s office in Houston, Texas and placed the paperwork on his desk, handed him a pen and told him to sign. My son’s dream of joining an organization geared to protect came true.

My son did indeed join the bravest men and women of this country. He did indeed get shipped off to war and he could not have been happier. He was doing what he wanted to do, what he was trained to do, and he was confident in his ability to lead his merry band of brothers into combat.

If you know a Veteran, please thank him or her. They make many sacrifices we will never fully understand or appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment